Happy Thursday! While this past week has been anything but normal I decided to cook my fiance and I one our favorite low carb dishes. This is a good hearty comforting food without all the carbs:) And you can never go wrong with a good italian dish! Hope y’all enjoy! Comment below if you cook it!
- 2 lb 93% lean Turkey Meat
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1/2 large onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (28 oz can) crushed tomatoes
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh basil
- black pepper, to taste
- 3 medium (8 ounces each) zucchini, thinly sliced
- 2 cups cups part-skim ricotta
- 1/4 cup Parmesan
- 1 large egg (I use fresh eggs) *Perks of having chickens in your backyard:)
- 16 oz (4 cups) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese ( since you can
- In a medium sauce pan, brown meat and season with salt. Drain excess water/fat. Then, add olive oil to the pan and saute garlic and onions about 2 minutes.
- Add pushed tomatoes and stir well.
- Simmer on low for at least 30-40minutes, covered. The sauce should be thick.
- Meanwhile, slice zucchini into thin slices, add lightly salt and set aside or 10 minutes. Zucchini has a lot of water when cooked, salting it takes out a lot of moisture. After 10 minutes, blot excess moisture with a paper towel.
- Preheat a gas grill (I use a George Foreman) to medium high, and grill 2 to 3 minutes per side, until slightly browned. Place on paper towels to soak any excess moisture.
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- In a medium bowl mix ricotta cheese, parmesan cheese and egg.
- In a 9×12 casserole spread 1/2 cup of sauce on the bottom and layer the zucchini to cover. Spread 1/2 cup of the ricotta cheese mixture, then top with 1 cup of the mozzarella cheese and repeat the process until all your ingredients are used up. The last layer top with remaining zucchini and sauce, cover with foil and bake 30 minutes. Uncover the foil and bake 20 minutes (to dry up the sauce) then place the remaining 1 cup mozzarella and bake until melted, 10 minutes. ( if you like your cheese little crispy on top. Broil for the last 1-2 minutes.) My fiancé and I love a crispy top cheese layer.
- Let stand about 5 – 10 minutes before serving.
Brown the turkey meat
I like turkey meat because its leaner. You will see in my recipes to come, I mainly cook with turkey meat:)
Here is the meat sauce, make sure to let it simmer for 30 minutes.
Make sure to salt the zucchini and let it sit. This really helps with the final product to not be as watery. Zucchini holds a lot of water and this will help a lot.
Even after I grill them on the George Forman I like to get a paper towel and get the remaining excess water.
This is the final product. If you do not like a crispy top layer, just don’t broil it. (My fiancé and I love it like this) * No its not burnt lol
Nicely paired with a glass of Rodney Strong Cab:)
Yield: 8 servings, Serving Size: 1/8
- Amount Per Serving:
- Smart Points: 9
- Points +: 9
- Calories: 275
- Total Fat: 13g
- Saturated Fat: 7g
- Cholesterol: 84mg
- Sodium: 648mg
- Carbohydrates: 13g
- Fiber: 2.5g
- Sugar: 5g
- Protein: 26g